What Happened in the Game on 02/26/17?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Happened in the Game on 02/26/17?

Post by grumpit on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:29 pm

So if you rolled really well this could just be a party wipe right at the start of the game.

grumpit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Tash on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I've prerolled what those would be if they do hit so I can plan around them.
Agent Tash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpit on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe I am being pessimistic but I fail to see how we can do anything here.

Is the bridge still in one piece and each system console still functional but the crew is dead? or is the whole bridge out of commission? How long would it take us to repair it if we could?

We might have twice as much accel as the PF Sloan but running isn't an option. We are not fast enough to out run the next 5 volleys of missiles its going to hit us with in the time it would take to get out of range.

There is no way we can out fight it. They are not going to get into laser range until they know the ships weapons have been disabled.

Even if they DID come into laser range they would still get to hit us with a TON of missile before we disable them.

I will admit my knowledge of ship combat and tactics is pretty limited but I don't see any hope here.

grumpit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Agent Tash wrote:The ship is not currently being controlled, but all systems are on line more or less.

What shipboard systems can be operated without the bridge? With a gunner station generally explicitly required, one would think the cannons are operable. Anything else? Can the ship be "piloted" from engineering or another station? Etc.
Casey
Admin

View user profile http://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Better Quell Jorel on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Maybe I am being pessimistic but I fail to see how we can do anything here.

Is the bridge still in one piece and each system console still functional but the crew is dead? or is the whole bridge out of commission? How long would it take us to repair it if we could?

You are quite correct. There is nothing we can really do here. Once the bridge of a ship is taken out with the engines more or less intact, the ship will just continue to drift in a single direction until the engines are shut down or they are destroyed in the process. Sadly, Traveller ships (at least as far as I know) do not have a secondary bridge or area you can control things should the primary bridge go up in flames. Repairing a bridge would require a trip to space dock to repair and replace all of the destroyed systems not mention basic cosmetic repairs.

Now, I will say that Colonial vessels are a bit different from the standard Imperial stock of ships, so it might have an auxiliary bridge. I really don't know.

Let's just brace for impact and see what happens though based on what Eric just told us, it looks like the Imperials will be playing it smart and blow the vessel to smithereens before taking a look to see if anyone survived the carnage.

Better Quell Jorel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:53 pm

grumpit wrote:We might have twice as much accel as the PF Sloan but running isn't an option.

That's one of those "it depends". The combat was abstracted, without any given distances or vectors. There was quite some time before those first volleys hit us. If we can pilot the ship (that part isn't clear) and survive another volley) we might be able outrun any other missiles that come our way. They can only accelerate for 3 turns. Or we might be too close and you're right, defeat may be inevitable.
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Bionic Derek wrote:Once the bridge of  a ship is taken out with the engines more or less intact, the ship will just continue to drift in a single direction until the engines are shut down or they are destroyed in the process.

See, I don't know about that. Remember when we were on the Shepherd Brook? To control the ship from engineering we just needed the access codes, as that workstation had been locked out from the bridge. Sadly, it didn't work out (we killed the pirate who knew the codes), and we had to assault the bridge. That dynamic does not exist right now.
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Tash on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Well, at this TL most control stations can be adapted to other functions and are semi universal. A engineering station could be used as a pilot or senor station. A gunner station could do likewise. Generally speaking though the captain or XO has to authorize a station outside of the bridge performing such a function. This ship model has several aux, computer, and gunnery stations around the ship.
Agent Tash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Tash on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:05 pm

The captain and XO were on the bridge, along with the pilot and operations officer.
Agent Tash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Better Quell Jorel on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Never you mind. Despite our rage, we are still space rats trapped in a cage being peppered with missile fire.

We don't have access to the codes to pilot or control the ship. No control...

Last edited by Bionic Derek on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Better Quell Jorel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Agent Tash wrote:The captain and XO were on the bridge, along with the pilot and operations officer.

= they are dead? The table says "Bridge (or cockpit) knocked out." without providing any other information.
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpit on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Eric already said everyone on the bridge was dead. That it was a good thing they refused your help or you would be dead as well.

grumpit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Bionic Derek wrote:Never you mind. Despite our rage, we are still space rats trapped in a cage being peppered with missile fire.

We don't have access to the codes to pilot or control the ship. No control...

Callin is an emotional vampire, who likes to drain. Imperial Destroyers, boarding with fusion flamers....

Wink
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:21 pm

grumpit wrote:Eric already said everyone on the bridge was dead. That it was a good thing they refused your help or you would be dead as well.

Did he? I missed that.
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpit on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:44 pm

He said it last game.

grumpit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Tash on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:16 pm

I did say it. Yeah they are dead. The table doesn't specify that, but NPC's without stated first names let alone last names are... fragile creatures.
Agent Tash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tybreagus on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Bionic Derek wrote:Now, I will say that Colonial vessels are a bit different from the standard Imperial stock of ships, so it might have an auxiliary bridge. I really don't know.  

Can anyone say saucer separation?
Tybreagus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 am

Tybreagus wrote:
Bionic Derek wrote:Now, I will say that Colonial vessels are a bit different from the standard Imperial stock of ships, so it might have an auxiliary bridge. I really don't know.  

That's only needed if you have a Warp Core Breach. Fortunately, that didn't happen. We merely reversed the polarity of our bilithium sensor modules, made an improvised cloaking device, and got away. Wink
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Better Quell Jorel on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 pm

If we must do a saucer separation, let's make sure it we do it with all the tension, drama, and length of this scene...

Better Quell Jorel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top