Cottonwood RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?

2 posters

Go down

What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?  Empty What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?

Post by Father Dugal Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:05 pm

What are the Elder Gods doing tonight? I enter their subconscious through the back door for a glimpse.

From within the punitive limits of the human imagination, I feebly visualize life as sleep; I vaguely suspect we part the abyss before us and spread tidal ripples at our backs.

Ours is to bear the curse of the eternities, which is to live through them all. Every timeless cosmic disaster. Each star birthing and collapsing. We witness the whole. The universes were once timeless titans spread forth along the corridors of our endless travel. And now, we are so caught up in what we think, we have no time to marvel.  

And what is to us if we happen to step in a puddle and muddy our trousers? We are the timeless. We will outlast the stains of sin and guilt for time is the concealer of sin.

And what of the fledglings we may encounter? Diminutive microbes who rise and sleep in the time it takes for a heart to flutter? What of these beings who build themselves fragile webs, who fill their chests with oxygen pride, who think they can aspire to the challenge of consciousness? We care nothing for these. We may linger and observe their maddening paces for a time. We may pass on. Or perhaps we will chortle with guile and from our nostrils blast their fragile creations to the earth.

We rose from the soup primeval; we traverse all the space of the now, the space of the horizon, and the space of the ethereal. Ours is the only sure course creation and uncreation may choose.

Our universe is this forum. And we are alone.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?  Empty Re: What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?

Post by Casey Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Source? Or did you write this?
Casey
Casey
Admin

https://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?  Empty Re: What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?

Post by Father Dugal Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:55 pm

I wrote it. It appears that when I'm left to my own devices in this forum, I tend to wax a tad eccentric.

I mean a few weeks ago, I felt like my slightly taciturn but otherwise cheery everyday self.

And here's how I look now...

What are the Elder Gods Doing Tonight?  Jock+Blaney+as+Prospector

Kind of revealing, ain't it?
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:I wrote it...

And why, pray tell, don't you write prose more often?
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

So those two 10 to 15 page stories I wrote for Eric's game don't count?  Question Question 
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:

So those two 10 to 15 page stories I wrote for Eric's game don't count?  Question Question 

No. You're too constrained.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:53 pm

No. You're too constrained.

Would you care to translate that statement into a number? How much writing material must one pump out to go from writing constrained to unrestrained?

Anyway, that little blurb above was only a way to pass an otherwise boring evening.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 pm

It has nothing to do with numbers. It has everything to do with tacking your own creativity onto someone else's. Hence, the constraint. Now, I feel that it is certainly possible to be creative when writing character backgrounds and/or journal entries, but the fact remains that the genesis and major points of the work is based off of the GMs original thoughts. Hence, one is too constrained by the GMs imagination to create truly self-generated ideas.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

It has nothing to do with numbers. It has everything to do with tacking your own creativity onto someone else's. Hence, the constraint. Now, I feel that it is certainly possible to be creative when writing character backgrounds and/or journal entries, but the fact remains that the genesis and major points of the work is based off of the GMs original thoughts. Hence, one is too constrained by the GMs imagination to create truly self-generated ideas.

I do agree with you, but I should mention that the piece above was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and the odd mood Welcome to Nightvale left me in that day. So, in that sense, I piggybacked that idea from a few other ideas already in existence.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:

I do agree with you, but I should mention that the piece above was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and the odd mood Welcome to Nightvale left me in that day. So, in that sense, I piggybacked that idea from a few other ideas already in existence.  

Everyone has an inspiration. Even Tolkien (who was inspired by the holy power of the Valar). Lovecraft had his, too.

Keep writing. Maybe you'll be an inspiration for the next generation.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Keep writing. Maybe you'll be an inspiration for the next generation.

So long as that generation is Star Trek: The Next Generation, I'll be happy to play along.

Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum