Cottonwood RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random optional rules

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Random optional rules Empty Random optional rules

Post by Casey Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I'll list here the optional rules that I plan on using. Please feel free to comment. Like a Star @ heaven

Additional Hit Locations

Martial Arts has some fun new hit locations to make life better for everyone. Here's a list of them, along with a basic description. Consult MA137 for details:

Ear (-7) Damage over HP/4 is crippling and is lost, but if twice that amount of damage is rolled the ear is cut off

Jaw (-6) A crushing blow gives an extra -1 to knockdown rolls

Joints (-5 [knee or elbow]/-7 [ankle or wrist]) HP/3 to cripple the knee or elbow, HP/4 to cripple on the ankle or wrist

Nose (-7) HP/4 is crippling; twice that with a cutting attack will chop it off, which is just plain rude

Spine (-8 ) DR 3; there is no damage bonus, but if more than HP in damage is taken, the spine is crippled. That is very bad when it happens.

There are also rules given for hitting the veins and arteries at -8 to the neck or -5 to a limb. This increases the wounding modifier for cutting and impaling attack by .5 (e.g. a cutting attack to the veins/arteries in the neck would cause 2.5 times damage). Also, there is no damage limit on hits to veins/arteries! This has the potential to make combat very deadly! If the players want to use this rule, we'll use it; if not, we won't.
Casey
Casey
Admin

https://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Random optional rules Empty Re: Random optional rules

Post by Father Dugal Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Ear (-7) Damage over HP/4 is crippling and is lost, but if twice that amount of damage is rolled the ear is cut off

Jaw (-6) A crushing blow gives an extra -1 to knockdown rolls

Joints (-5 [knee or elbow]/-7 [ankle or wrist]) HP/3 to cripple the knee or elbow, HP/4 to cripple on the ankle or wrist

Nose (-7) HP/4 is crippling; twice that with a cutting attack will chop it off, which is just plain rude

Spine (-8 ) DR 3; there is no damage bonus, but if more than HP in damage is taken, the spine is crippled. That is very bad when it happens.

There are also rules given for hitting the veins and arteries at -8 to the neck or -5 to a limb. This increases the wounding modifier for cutting and impaling attack by .5 (e.g. a cutting attack to the veins/arteries in the neck would cause 2.5 times damage). Also, there is no damage limit on hits to veins/arteries! This has the potential to make combat very deadly! If the players want to use this rule, we'll use it; if not, we won't.

Yeesh. These rules for new hitting locations make combat seem like fine surgery. Run into a warrior who is depressed and tired of life? Dispatch him or her to the other world quickly by aiming for multiple veins.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:Yeesh. These rules for new hitting locations make combat seem like fine surgery. Run into a warrior who is depressed and tired of life? Dispatch him or her to the other world quickly by aiming for multiple veins.

Yeah. Martial Arts says this about such targeted attacks:

Realistically, such injuries can cause almost instant unconsciousness, with death coming in seconds.

So if you guys demand that this rule be used, we'll use it. Otherwise, we won't.  Smile
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Deceptive Attack

The book gives the suggestion to limit Deceptive Attacks to -4 for the attacker, which gives -2 to the defender. We've generally used this optional rule since we've started 4th Edition. I won't, but the final skill roll still must be at least 10.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Bleeding

I'll be using the Bleeding and Accumulated Wounds rules from pB420. To sum up, if you're bleeding from a piercing, cutting, or impaling attack, you must roll HT every minute at -1 for every 5 points of damage taken or take another 1 HP of damage. Three successful HT rolls will stop the bleeding, as will a First Aid roll. The Accumulated Wounds rule states that you keep track of hits to limbs, and that limb will be crippled if it takes more than HP/2 damage.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Random Hit Location, and random hit locations within locations

To go along with our conversation last night, here are the rules from pB400 on Random Hit Locations:

Random Hit Location

You never have to target a hit location – you can always just strike at “whatever target presents itself.” To do so, attack with no modifier for hit location. If you hit, and your foe fails to defend, roll 3d on the appropriate hit location table to find out where the blow fell; see Hit Location Tables (p. 552). The GM decides what table to use for non-humanoids.

Use random hit location for a Wild Swing (p. 388), shooting blind (p. 389), suppression fire (p. 409), fragmentation damage (p. 414), and any other situation where the GM feels targeting a location is unrealistic. If a random attack comes from directly above, treat “feet” as "hands” and “legs” as “arms.”

This is fairly straightforward, and I think in line with what Eric was saying. If you target a hit location randomly, you never take a penalty to hit that location, no matter what that body part turns out to be. There is a reasonably good chance that it's going to be a body hit anyway, but also a reasonably good chance that it's going to hit something else.

Eric also spoke of unintentionally striking hit locations withing hit locations, e.g. shooting to the face and hitting the skull. To model this, Martial Arts has the following on p 137. Is this something we want to use? It will mean an extra die roll pretty much every attack, but if you guys want to use it, I'm game.

Notes for Existing Hit Locations

For greater consistency when using this level of detail [i.e. the extra hit locations above], alter the hit locations in the Basic Set as follows. The GM may reserve extra die rolls for randomly targeted attacks.

Arms and Legs: On any arm or leg hit, roll 1d. On a 1, a cutting, impaling, piercing, or tight-beam burning attack hits a vein/artery, while a crushing attack hits a joint.

Face: On a hit from in front, roll 1d. A 1 means a skull hit if the attack was impaling, piercing, or tight-beam burning, a nose hit otherwise. When attacking from behind, the face is at -7 to hit, not -5.

Hands and Feet: On any hand or foot hit with a crushing, cutting, piercing, or tight-beam burning attack, roll 1d. On a 1, the attack hits a joint.

Neck: On any neck hit with a cutting, impaling, piercing, or tight-beam burning attack, roll 1d. On a 1, it hits a vein/artery. Also roll 1d for crushing attacks from behind; a 1 indicates a spine hit. Crippling the spine this far up – a “broken neck” – causes Quadriplegic (p. B150), not merely Lame (Paraplegic). This occurs automatically if Neck Snap (p. 77) or a throw from a Head Lock (p. 74) inflicts injury over HP to the neck!

Skull: When attacking from behind, the skull is at -5 to hit, not -7.

Torso: On a hit with a crushing, impaling, piercing, or tightbeam burning attack, roll 1d. On a 1, it hits the vitals. Also roll 1d for a cutting blow from behind; a 1 indicates a spine hit.

Vitals: Crushing attacks can target the “vitals” – e.g., the solar plexus from in front or the kidneys from behind – at -3. Wounding modifier is only x1, but shock requires a HT roll for knockdown, at -5 if a major wound.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Notes for Existing Hit Locations

For greater consistency when using this level of detail [i.e. the extra hit locations above], alter the hit locations in the Basic Set as follows. The GM may reserve extra die rolls for randomly targeted attacks.

Yeah, these rules are fine by me.

Man, we're going to need to compile an additional GURPS book just to keep track of all these additional house rules. Either that or a knowledgeable brain in a jar.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Alpha Centauri wrote:Man, we're going to need to compile an additional GURPS book just to keep track of all these additional house rules.

It's called GURPS Martial Arts

Razz

Alpha Centauri wrote:Either that or a knowledgeable brain in a jar.

I'm working on getting one of those too, but they're kinda expensive.

Very Happy
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Extra Effort in Combat

I will be allowing all Extra Effort in Combat options. Frankly, I really like what it can add to combat. Currently, Fatigue is a mostly useless stat. I can't remember when it has ever been useful to a non-mage. This will add balance and make warriors with more endurance somewhat more powerful in combat.

Here's a summary of the different options:

Feverish Defense: Add +2 to a single defense roll.

Flurry of Blows: Halve the penalty for a Rapid Strike.

Mighty Blows: Add the effects of an All Out Attack (Strong) to your damage roll.

Giant Step: Take an extra Step.

Great Lunge: Get the benefits of an All Out Attack (Long) without losing your defenses (see page MA 97 - 98).

Heroic Charge: Take the Move and Attack maneuver without taking a skill penalty or a maximum cap on effective skill(!!!).

Rapid Recovery: Instantly re-ready an unbalanced weapon.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Toughness

Yes, I am allowing the 3rd Edition Toughness advantage in this game. It is essentially equivalent to the 4th Edition Damage Resistance advantage, with the Tough Skin limitation, with an enhanced cost as normal humans are not normally allowed to take it.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Three Game Rule

I like Eric's Three Game Rule, where he allows a character to be modified for up to three games. For the players with characters from my old 3rd Edition game, you'll be allowed to change the modifications you made between editions. Players making new characters will of course be able to change anything.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Character Journals

I really like the incentive of giving character points for journal entries that Eric gives. I will do the same. For a journal entry of 1/2 page (normal typewritten) I will give a character point. A 1 page journal have an award of 2 points. Each additional page will be worth an additional point, up to 5.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Quick Shooting Bows

Martial Arts has rules on page 119 - 120 for emulating Legolas' (and others') ability to shoot a bow much faster than the normal rules would allow. These rules state that after a successful Fast Draw roll, an archer can roll his Bow skill at -6 to ready the arrow on the bow instantly, and then shoot that same turn at Bow -6. If the rolls are made, the bow can be fired every turn.

I'm going to streamline the rolls somewhat. Instead of three rolls, there will be two. The first roll will be a Fast Draw roll at -6 to draw the arrow and ready it instantly on the bow. The second will be the Attack roll (or All Out Attack [Determined]) at -6 to shoot the weapon. The penalties to both rolls can be reduced as normal by the Heroic Archer and Weapon Master advantage.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sun May 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Magical Healing

As discussed, no wound over 16 points can be healed by Major Healing; no wound over 6 points can be healed by Minor Healing. The caps for healing for each spell casting are still 8 and 3, respectively.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:34 pm

I will be allowing all Extra Effort in Combat options. Frankly, I really like what it can add to combat. Currently, Fatigue is a mostly useless stat. I can't remember when it has ever been useful to a non-mage. This will add balance and make warriors with more endurance somewhat more powerful in combat.

Excellent. Do all these maneuvers cost one fatigue point or do some of them cost more than that?
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:36 am

The Son of Dior wrote:

Excellent. Do all these maneuvers cost one fatigue point or do some of them cost more than that?  

Yes. Each use costs 1 fatigue. So, if a character strikes twice and uses the Mighty Blows option on both attacks, he pays two fatigue.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 pm

Slam Attacks

We've followed the 4th Edition rules for Slam Attacks fairly faithfully since starting this campaign. After having given it an honest go, I have to say I don't like it. While the rules as written are quite realistic from a physics point of view (momentum = mass x velocity; momentum is what knocks people down), and the math isn't that difficult, it's cumbersome to actually game.

So we're going to go with the 3rd Edition rules, modified to fit 4th Edition maneuvers. A Slam is a Move and Attack, but will be a contest of DX. The defender is at -2 if the foe entered from the defender's side hexes. If the foe enters from behind the attacker wins this roll automatically.

If the attacker is successful, the opponents will roll a contest of ST, with the attacker getting +2 if he was able to move more than one hex this turn, or if he was Moving last turn and continues his movement. He is at -2 if the defender was running at him. Both parties add the DB of their shield to their ST. The attacker gets +2 if he attacked from behind.

The contest of DX roll counts as a Dodge by the defender. This will be important if he has already made a defense roll this turn or makes one later on his turn.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:48 pm

So we're going to go with the 3rd Edition rules, modified to fit 4th Edition maneuvers.

I take this to mean we're going to be swarmed by an army of wargs in the not so distant future. These new rules would probably put the odds of knocking us over and having our guts for garters in their favor.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 pm

The Son of Dior wrote:I take this to mean we're going to be swarmed by an army of wargs in the not so distant future.

Naturally.  Very Happy

The Son of Dior wrote:These new rules would probably put the odds of knocking us over and having our guts for garters in their favor.

Eh, I suppose a statistician could do the math. I'm not sure that it'll make much difference. Whether old rules or new, if the warg actually hits you you're probably going to go down. It'll be easier to make a DX roll than a dodge roll, but now it's a contest instead of just pass/fail rolls.

Do you actually prefer the 4th Edition rules?
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Do you actually prefer the 4th Edition rules?

No, not particularly. I was merely playing the devil's advocate. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Shields and Weapon Master

GURPS Basic does not allow multiple blocks per turn. I had house-ruled that they can block multiple times with the same penalty as a parry. We'll use the optional rules in Martial Arts, which allows multiple blocks at -5 per extra block/turn. If your Weapon Master advantage specifically includes the shield, then your block penalty is halved, rounding up: -3 on the second block, -5 on the third, etc.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 pm

If your Weapon Master advantage specifically includes the shield, then your block penalty is halved, rounding up: -3 on the second block, -5 on the third, etc.

That's good news for me. Perhaps it is time I put additional points into my shield skill to raise it up.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Secondary Attributes and Subsuming Them

I allow secondary attributes to be bought up to 1/3 of the base attribute, unless there is a much lower limit (e.g. Move) provided in the book. Another exception is Will, which may be purchased up to level 20 by any character irrespective of IQ level.

Additionally, these secondary attributes, when purchased, may be subsumed when raising that attribute. E.g., if Vanimo has 20 ST (he doesn't), 3 levels of Lifting ST, and two Extra HP, he may purchase another level of ST for 5 CPs (10 to raise ST, -3 for a level of Lifting ST, -2 for a level of HP) if those advantages are subsumed. This will only apply when the secondary attribute merely provides a +1 to that attribute. So (for example), Fit/Very Fit would not apply to raising HT, as they do not merely add +1 to health rolls, but Hard to Kill and Hard to Subdue would. Unless someone can find an exception, I think Will would also be eligible for this.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:54 pm

The Son of Dior was here.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 pm

The Son of Dior wrote:The Son of Dior was here.

Highly unlikely.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next