Cottonwood RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem

2 posters

Go down

The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem Empty The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem

Post by Father Dugal Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:28 pm

While I never excelled at math, I can and do appreciate the beauty and oftentimes erratic behavior of numbers. I mean it's easy to see why since many surreal matrices of thought have trouble adhering to all the rules of accepted reality. And numbers certainly are no different. In your mind you may think they form an unshakable line of symbols stretching into eternity, but even infallible symbols have their skeletons and mad uncles lurking in the closets and dark recesses of abstractville.

Speaking of oddities, here is the Numberphile taking you on another meeting between math and chess. In this video he tackles the classic puzzle of whether or not you can place eight queens on a chess board so that no queen can be taken by any other queen on the board. This requires the aid of factorials and a bit of mathmagic.

Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem Empty Re: The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem

Post by Casey Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:34 am

Haha! I actually partially solved this problem before it was given. I said to myself, "Self, why don't you put the Queens a Knight's move apart? That will keep them closer together but they still won't be able to attack each other." When you look at the solutions, that's what the Geek did.

Wink
Casey
Casey
Admin

https://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem Empty Re: The Numberphile gets his own Thread and Presents another Chess Problem

Post by Father Dugal Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:13 am

Haha! I actually partially solved this problem before it was given. I said to myself, "Self, why don't you put the Queens a Knight's move apart? That will keep them closer together but they still won't be able to attack each other." When you look at the solutions, that's what the Geek did.

I didn't bother with attempting to solve the problem beforehand. I just watched the video straight on through. I suppose that may the reason I'm not very good at solving puzzles.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Here's another chess puzzle to consider. If you were to remove the upper and lower corner squares from a chess board, can you then fit 31 dominoes into the squares that are left?

Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Eh, a logic problem with a chess board doth not a chess puzzle make.

Still, that was interesting.
Casey
Casey
Admin

https://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down