Cottonwood RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random optional rules

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Random optional rules - Page 2 Empty Re: Random optional rules

Post by Casey Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Dodging Full Hex Attacks

I felt that the gameplay in the Elvish crypt left a bit to be desired. Specifically, the rules as written regarding the dodging of the exposive spheres was, I feel, incomplete. If a person is in a hex when an object explodes, he cannot make a normal dodge, as this will leave him in the same hex and would defeat the purpose of trying to get away from the explosion. A Dodge and Drop is allowed against an explosion, and gives a +3, but the character ends up on the ground. A Retreating Dodge is not allowed against an explosion.

As a middle-ground option, I propose that we do allow a Retreating Dodge to escape an explosion. There is no +3 bonus (take Dodge and Drop for that), but if the dodge is successful the character ends up one hex away from the location of the explosion. Depending on how powerful the explosion is, the character might take damage anyway, but it will be much reduced.

I think that these same rules should also be used for melee attacks that fill a whole hex: giants swinging trees, pillars or other large objects falling into your hex, etc.

What do you guys think? Thoughts? Objections? If this sounds good let me know and we'll use these rules.
Casey
Casey
Admin

https://cwrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:48 pm

A Dodge and Drop is allowed against an explosion, and gives a +3, but the character ends up on the ground. A Retreating Dodge is not allowed against an explosion.

I think we should keep the rule as is. I think diving for cover is more realistic than dancing out of the way with a normal dodge, and I don't really mind the penalty of having to get up. If this rule did go through, I would probably never use it, at least not with a character that has a low dodge score to begin with.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 pm

The Son of Dior was here.

Highly unlikely.

If that's the case, then you must be new around these parts. This here Son of Dior puts his John Hancock on every post and every thread around these parts. You could say he almost owns this here forum. (Spits in a virtual spittoon)
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:56 pm

The Son of Dior wrote:(Spits in a virtual spittoon)

See, now I know you've never even been in here. You wouldn't know what to do with a spittoon - virtual or not - if one landed on your head. Wink
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:56 pm

The Son of Dior wrote:
A Dodge and Drop is allowed against an explosion, and gives a +3, but the character ends up on the ground. A Retreating Dodge is not allowed against an explosion.

I think we should keep the rule as is. I think diving for cover is more realistic than dancing out of the way with a normal dodge, and I don't really mind the penalty of having to get up. If this rule did go through, I would probably never use it, at least not with a character that has a low dodge score to begin with.

Well, you're the only one who has spoken. I guess we'll keep the rules as written. Smile
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Well, you're the only one who has spoken. I guess we'll keep the rules as written. Smile

Woo hoo! Majority rules! The only way for evil to win is for the rest of the gaming group to do nothing—except for me, the evil one.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:56 am

Awarded Character Points and Creating a New Character

I think I've discussed this, but I'm not sure. In Eric's last game he had a rule that allowed PCs to create new characters, and use a portion of the extra CPs their previous character had earned to make a new one. That is a sensible idea. So, if a player wants to make a new character or if their character is assassinated by the GM sadly dies in game, the player can take an additional one third of the CPs that character had earned after character creation and add it to the 350 points to generate a new character.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpit Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 pm

I am not very smart so I would need some clarification.

Raina is a 500 point character that started at 150 so Raina has earned 350 points after creation. 116 is a 3rd of 350 so my next character would start at 466 in your game.

grumpit

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:53 pm

I think I've discussed this, but I'm not sure. In Eric's last game he had a rule that allowed PCs to create new characters, and use a portion of the extra CPs their previous character had earned to make a new one. That is a sensible idea. So, if a player wants to make a new character or if their character is assassinated by the GM sadly dies in game, the player can take an additional one third of the CPs that character had earned after character creation and add it to the 350 points to generate a new character.

This is a good idea since it will keep "new" characters up in levels and ferocity along with the rest of the party.

Sadly, I have no idea where Deorwine started in character points this time around. I know he began significantly higher than the 350 point level, but I'm not sure how high. So I guess that cuts me out of that action.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:27 am

That's actually a good question. I think that the most reasonable way to handle that would be "CPs above the base level of the campaign". That would make it so no tedious record keeping is required. However many points your character is above the base level of 350, you get a third of that.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:46 am

"CPs above the base level of the campaign".

That's a nice easy fix.
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpit Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:05 pm

No you are confused. If the you base it on the campaign level of 350 and not starting level of 150 that's less points. An easy mistake to make but dont worry I am hear to catch those mistakes.

grumpit

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:31 pm

grumpit wrote:No you are confused. If the you base it on the campaign level of 350 and not starting level of 150 that's less points. An easy mistake to make but dont worry I am hear to catch those mistakes.

Haha! There's Alex keeping us on the right path, point wise. Wink

But no, seriously, we'lll use the above method of calculation to find out how many "extra" CPs a new character will get.
Casey
Casey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Dugal Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:05 pm

But no, seriously, we'lll use the above method of calculation to find out how many "extra" CPs a new character will get.

Yokai! Roger!
Father Dugal
Father Dugal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2